By Fernan Angeles
NO pandemic in any form could make them poor, said the Forbes Magazine which released names of the 10 richest individuals in the Philippines.
Topping the list are the sons of the late business magnate Henry Sy, followed by President Rodrigo Duterte’s staunch ally Manuel Villar, then Enrique Razon at close third.
The top 10 wealthiest Filipinos for 2020 are:
- Sy siblings with $13.9 billion
- Manny Villar with $5 billion
- Enrique Razon Jr with $4.3 billion
- Lance Gokongwei and siblings with $4.1 billion
- Jaime Zobel de Ayala with $3.6 billion
- Andrew Tan with $2.3 billion
- Lucio Tan with $2.2 billion
- Ramon Ang with $2 billion
- Tony Tan Caktiong with $1.9 billion
- Lucio and Susan Co with $1.7 billion
Forbes took note of the decline in the wealth of Philippine billionaires amid the government-imposed lockdown, deemed as the harshest and longest lockdowns in the world.
Forbes said on Thursday, September 17, that the collective wealth of the Philippines’ 50 richest dropped to $60.6 billion from $78 billion a year ago.